Sunday, September 4, 2016

Alpha Bakers -- Heavenly Chocolate Mousse Cake

 Hot stuff. Serious hot mousse stuff here. When my friend J said 'surprise me' regarding her choice of birthday cake, I am pretty darn sure that this Heavenly Chocolate Mousse Cake was not what she was expecting. 

I mean, who would think 'Gee, I bet she'll surprise me with a thin layer of sponge wrapped loaf-like around soft spongy chocolate mousse.' Honestly, no one. But why not? Sponge cake is great stuff, and chocolate mousse is amazing, and loafing it all up makes it super fancy! I ran out of cream while making the mousse so I subbed a small amount of coconut milk (the tetra-pak kind, not the just milked-from-the-coconut kind), which didn't seem to have a strong effect. I also didn't exactly make the recommended template to size the sponge casing, but just held the cake against the loaf pan and approximated.

It was a great birthday dessert, even though it hadn't entirely set up when I served it, and it was even better for breakfast two days later.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

Looking for to this now!